Sylvia Strobel, JD, MBA
Areas of Expertise:
- Strategic Management
- Advocacy Leadership
- Nonprofit Capacity Building
- Media Relations
Sylvia Strobel joined Coulter in 2011 as Vice President and serves as the Interim CEO of the Alliance for Women in Media (AWM) and the AWM Foundation. She also served as executive director for the Alliance for Community Media (ACM), a client of Coulter Nonprofit Management, which served as the national advocate for public, educational and governmental cable channels.
Before joining Coulter, Strobel served as president and general manager of the Pennsylvania Public Television Network Commission, where she restructured network operations, served as the liaison to the Governor’s Office and Pennsylvania General Assembly, and oversaw funding and grants for the state’s eight public television stations. In 1996, Strobel co-founded the law firm Lehmann Strobel PLC, where she is a partner providing legal and business consulting services to the nonprofit arts, cultural and media communities. Previously she served as deputy general counsel/director of business affairs for Twin Cities Public Television and in Business Affairs for the Corporation for Public Broadcasting. She was as an adjunct professor of Entertainment Law at Hamline University School of Law in St. Paul, Minnesota, and chaired the Art and Entertainment Law Committee of the Minnesota State Bar Association. She is admitted to the bar in Minnesota and Pennsylvania.
Strobel received a Bachelor of Arts degree in Biology from St. Olaf College, a Juris Doctor from Wm. Mitchell College of Law and a Masters in Business Administration from the Carlson School of Management at the University of Minnesota. She currently serves as the 2013-2014 President of the Board of Directors for the Junior League of Baltimore. She served on the national board of directors of the Alliance for Women in Media (formerly AWRT) from 2011-2013, and represents the organization on the Federal Communication Commission’s Advisory Committee for Diversity in a Digital Age. She has also served on the board of directors for the Pennsylvania Women’s Campaign Fund, National Television Academy – Upper Midwest and Twin Cities Public Television. She is a member of the Federal Communications Bar Association, Women in Film and Video – DC, Independent Sector and the National Press Club. Strobel is a regular presenter and speaker at media industry events, and has authored articles for state, national and international trade publications.
Strobel, her husband, Walter Lehmann and their two children live in Baltimore, MD.
Now, here's the backstory on Sylvia…
- Hometown: Jefferson City, Missouri
- First car: A BIG, white 1970s Buick LeSabre
- Superhero power I wish I had: Teleportation
- Television show or movie most resembles my current life: I Love Lucy
- App I can’t live without: NPR News
- Favorite guilty pleasure: A Day of Doing Nothing
- Three publications I’d recommend for anyone who does what I do: Freakonomics, Lincoln on Leadership, and Pearls, Politics and Power
- What I do on my “free” time: Organic gardening
- If I could travel anywhere in the world, I would go…to theGarden District of New Orleans – I love it there.
- Advice I would give my “younger self”: Stay out of the sun, get plenty of sleep and don’t work so much!
- How my life has changed since I joined Coulter: Much more sane!
- At the end of the day…I go home to my husband and kids…there is nothing better!
“To do the work you love and feel that it matters; how could anything be more fun?”