Areas of Expertise:
- Multi-Client Financial Management & Oversight
- Nonprofit Accounting Rules and Regulations
- IRS Compliance & Controls
- Timely Statement Delivery
- Creation of Airtight Audit Trails
Penny Pierce joined Coulter in 2008 and virtually overnight integrated her passion for systemization and accuracy into client-wide accounting and financial operations. Under Pierce’s astute management, the Accounting Department has doubled in size, new software programs have been implemented and refined, and collaboration with client leaders has been materially enhanced. The result has been strong on-time delivery of accurate, intelligently presented financial statements, consistently clean client third-party audits and an ingrained commitment to quality customer service.
Prior to joining Coulter, Pierce served as a project manager for an equity investment firm, chief financial officer of a complex manufacturing company and controller for the National Parks and Recreation Association.
Pierce earned an undergraduate degree in accounting with an emphasis in taxation from the University of Houston and completed post-graduate work at the University of Baltimore. Pierce is a lifelong learner who participates in an important array of continuing education programs.
Pierce and her husband reside in McLean, Virginia.
Now, here's the backstory on Penny:
- Hometown: Statesville, NC
- First car: A brand new orange Vega, a gift from my husband before he went overseas.
- Superhero power I wish I had: Mindreading, although people seem to think I already have it.
- Television show or movie most resembles my current life: Big Bang Theory--there’s a character named Penny.
- App I can’t live without: GPS.
- Favorite guilty pleasure: Chocolate.
- Three publications I’d recommend for anyone who does what I do: Journal of Accountancy, Wall Street Journal and any articles about nonprofits.
- What I do on my “free” time: I read a lot and love gardening but have no place to do it right now! My husband and I also love to explore the country in our RV.
- If I could travel anywhere in the world, I would go…: To Paris, it seems a fantasy and is definitely on my “Bucket List” (after a few more stops in the states).
- Advice I would give my “younger self”: Enjoy life! Stop and smell the roses, your home life should be cherished - your work can’t control your life, your life needs to control your work.
- How my life has changed since I joined Coulter: I have met so many exceptional people that hold a very special place in my heart. Coulter has been an almost magical place to be, a place where everyone has influence and new style thinking is embraced. It’s a place where I want to perform and excel.
- At the end of the day…: I’ve done my best and I have accomplishments, both personally and professionally, that make my mother proud (isn’t that how all Baby Boomers think?).
“To do the work you love and feel that it matters; how could anything be more fun?”