Lee K. Lowery, MPA, CAE
Associate Vice President
Areas of Expertise:
- External relationship building
- National conference management
- Financial analysis and budget management
- Board consensus building
Lee Lowery joined the American Society of Women Accountants (ASWA), a Coulter Nonprofit Management client, in August 2000. Prior to being named ASWA's executive director, Lowery served as the association's manager of membership services and its managing director. Throughout her tenure, Lowery has been integrally involved with the growth and development of several ASWA pinnacle programs and activities, including event content and management, leadership succession and governance, corporate and philanthropic fundraising, financial analysis, member relations, and chapter growth strategies.
Lowery has represented ASWA and its constituents externally through several women's leadership exchange events, including those sponsored by the American Society of Association Executives, American Women in Radio & Television, and the National Association of Women Business Owners. She has also built relationships with other accounting and financial organizations, including the American Woman's Society of Certified Public Accountants, the Institute of Management Accountants and the National Association of Enrolled Agents, broadening the overall benefits offered to ASWA's membership.
Lowery previously served as managing director for the Society of National Association Publications (now Association Media & Publishing), the national trade organization serving the needs of association publishers, communications professionals, and the media they create. Before that, Lowery served as a research analyst at Analytic Services Inc., which included a three-year tour at the Pentagon, where she provided budget analysis and training for over 30 space programs within the United States Air Force Space Acquisitions Department.
Lowery received her undergraduate degree from Roanoke College in Roanoke, Virginia and a graduate degree in public administration from George Mason University in Fairfax, Virginia. Lowery is a Circle Club Member of the American Society of Association Executives (ASAE), and presented at ASAE's 2011 Annulal Conference on the topic of Women’s Organization Relevance and at ASAE’s 2010 Online Conference for Small Staff Associations on the topic of "5 Key Principles for Working with Volunteers."
Lowery, her husband, Mike, two sons and their dog reside in Arlington, Virginia.
Here's what Lee is talking about:
Now, here's the backstory on Lee…
- Hometown: McLean, Virginia
- First car: 1976 Cutlass Supreme – a vehicle so large and heavy it was deemed “safe” for a teenager. My classmates and I nicknamed it the “Land Cruiser.”
- Superhero power I wish I had: Time manipulation
- Television show or movie most resembles my current life: Up All Night
- App I can’t live without: Amazon Kindle
- Favorite guilty pleasure: Ice cream and milk chocolate
- Three publications I’d recommend for anyone who does what I do: Associations Now, The Washington Post, a dictionary
- What I do on my “free” time: Read
- If I could travel anywhere in the world, I would go…: to Australia
- Advice I would give my “younger self”: Don’t underestimate your value.
- How my life has changed since I joined Coulter: I went from being a single young thing to a married mom who is not so young anymore.
- At the end of the day…: I enjoy coming home to the hustle and bustle of my family, followed by a glass of wine and some snuggle time with my two little boys as they drift off to sleep.
“To do the work you love and feel that it matters; how could anything be more fun?”