Barbara L. Collura
Areas of Expertise:
- Professional experience recruiting, managing and retaining high impact nationwide volunteers
- Skilled public speaker with expertise in women's health, health policy and reproductive health
- Successful track record in managing for-profit and nonprofit organizations from $1,000,000 to $20,000,000 in revenue
Barbara Collura joined Coulter as a senior associate in August 2007, when RESOLVE: The National Infertility Association (RESOLVE), of which Collura serves as executive director, became a client of Coulter Nonprofit Management. She first joined RESOLVE in September 2004 as Director of Chapter & Constituent Services.
Prior to joining the national headquarters staff of RESOLVE, she served as a volunteer for the organization in the D.C. metro area for several years. Once on staff, Collura oversaw the restructuring of RESOLVE's nationwide volunteer network from a chapter model to an integrated, regional model. She hired and managed the first regional staff for RESOLVE, facilitating the development of standardized processes, procedures, templates and forms. Collura also managed a number of external projects, including National Infertility Awareness Week®.
As executive director, Collura represents RESOLVE at a number of national conferences as well as on various committees and organizations, including the National Committee on the Oversight of Assisted Reproductive Technologies, the American Society of Reproductive Medicine and serves on the Board of Directors for the National Health Council. As the official spokesperson for RESOLVE, Collura is frequently interviewed by the media and speaks at conferences and events on a variety of topics related to infertility. She has been quoted in the national media including The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, and Parenting Magazine. Collura has been a featured guest on the TODAY Show on NBC, MSNBC and FOX and Friends on FOX News.
Prior to coming to RESOLVE, Collura served as vice president of operations for a high-tech recruiting organization and also owned her own high-tech recruiting firm. She has served as a volunteer with the American University Alumni Association, her church and other social service organizations. She received an undergraduate degree from the University of Montana and a graduate degree in international affairs from American University in Washington, D.C.
Collura, her husband, Chris, and their son reside in Herndon, Virginia.
Now, here's the backstory on Barb:
- Hometown: Bloomington, Minnesota.
- First car: Brown Volkswagon Rabbit (4 speed)
- Superhero power I wish I had: To fly.
- Television sho or movie that most resembles my current life: (I have absolutely no earthly idea!! Sorry... am terrible at this type of question)
- App I can't live without: The Map App
- Favorite guilty pleasure: Massages
- Three publications I'd recomment for anyone who does what I do: New York Times or Washington Post; Fertility & Sterility; Chronicle of Philanthropy
- What I do in my "free" time: Hang out with my husband, son and dog
- If I could travel anywhere in the world, I would go...: to New Zealand for at least a month
- Advice I would give my "younger self": Don't always say what you are thinking!
- How my life has changed since I joined Coulter: I'm not a stressed out crazy woman! And I know the organization I manage has a bright future.
- At the end of the day...: No one is going to remember if your house was clean, but instead how you made a difference in someone's life
“To do the work you love and feel that it matters; how could anything be more fun?”